In 1853 Bethel Chapel was built on a small corner of land given by John Prudham, an early pioneer of this district, for the sum of 3 pounds, 15 shillings.
Situated on Lot 5, Concession 1, New Survey, Nelson Township, Bethel Chapel is one of the few original Methodist churches still remaining. It is now located officially within the City of Burlington.
. . . During the summer of 1853, a simple frame structure to be known as Bethel Chapel, was built by the local adherents of the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion Church. William Bousfield provided the timbers for the chapel to be erected, and also split the shingles at his mill in Tally Ho. This softly rolling land must have reminded the pioneers of the England they had left behind. In many ways, even now, it still would.
Bethel Chapel served its congregation with regular services for only a short time. In 1874, a church union, of the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connexion Church with two other Wesleyan Methodist group took place, to form the Methodist Church of Canada. As a result of that union, Bethel Chapel was closed in favour of churches on the Lowville and Carlisle circuits.
Bethel Chapel remained closed for the next 60 years, until the mid 1930's, when the grandson of John Prudham, Charles A. Prudham, together with the direct descendants of the area's pioneers, helped to preserve this little chapel and cemetery. The Board of Trustees, including Charles Prudham, Elmer Foster, A.J. Harris, George Coverdale and William Vollick, was formed to be in charge of the chapel. The building was painted and a fence was installed, donated by Harvey Prudham of Galt, grandson of John Prudham.